Friday, March 16, 2018

Celebrate: Mrs. Clean


One of the things the doctors said I'm supposed to do to get healthy again is exercise. However, with a permanent slipped disk and chronic knee problems, not to mention my frequent dizziness (due to arteriosclerosis and brain clots), typical exercise is off the table. And besides, yucko!

However, I enjoy cleaning. Well, not really the physical labor so much -- who likes that? -- but I love looking at a clean house and being proud of the work I did to get it "ship shape." So my way of exercising is to clean rooms, plus I cook almost every day, and then do all those darn dirty dishes, of course!

And let me tell you, there's plenty to clean around my house since I spent so many months in bed, and my late husband was never very good in the "housekeeping" department. 

Plus, I now have new spackle, paint, and a roller. Yay! I'm just waiting another month or two till I feel steady enough to climb a ladder, then WATCH OUT disgusting, dirty walls -- I'm gonna get you!

My kind and wonderful co-hosts of Celebrate the Small Things are:
L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge
Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits Blog

Celebrate The Small Things Linky:



Grab the Linky html-code here:


** To see who’s posted for the hop look at my Celebrate The Small Things Blog Roll, left sidebar bottom **


 Celebrate the Small ThingsTo be part of this blog hop, all you have to do is visit the Celebrate page on Lexa's Blog for the rules, and then post every Friday about something you're grateful  for that week.  It can be about writing or family or school or general life.  This is the funnest and easiest blog hop ever! (Originated by VikLit)

  

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you found something you can do that you enjoy. Want to come clean my house?

Julie Flanders said...

I'm glad you are still blogging in spite of your terrible loss - I admire your spirit and it's great you found something you can do that makes you feel good. Thinking of you as always!

The Cynical Sailor said...

You are amazing, Lexa! AS Julie above said, it's nice to see that you're still blogging despite what you're going through. Keeping you in my thoughts. Ellen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yes, you're amazing. I'd be a basket case. I hope someone is there to hold the ladder when you do attack those walls.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

You have a great attitude, Lexa. Cleaning does exercise most parts of your body and you accomplish something too. Good idea. You've inspired me. Think I'll get the mop out and clean the floors. That is super good exercise. Don't do too much at once, though. Give yourself time to heal from your recent illness. Have a relaxing weekend.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

I'm so in awe of your strength, Lexa. I'm not sure I'd be able to get out of bed if I'd gone through what you have recently.

The cleaning sounds like it could be therapeutic for you. I hate getting started, but once I get going, I find cleaning almost addictive and I don't want to stop. Too bad it never stays that way.

Lots of love to you.

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Good for you, Lexa. Happy you've found something you like that counts as exercise and having your house clean must lift your spirits,too. Thinking of you and hoping you have a good weekend.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Busy work gets us through the days. It is good to read that you are planning things.

Marie Gilbert said...

It's always good to get a post from you, and I am so very happy that you are up and about. Get better, my friend

JeffO said...

Now I feel guilty about the condition of my house!

Anonymous said...

You want to come clean my apartment too since you need to exercise? ;) Also, my hubby isn't good at house cleaning. Maybe it's a guy thing.

messymimi said...

Cleaning isn’t fun, but it does keep you moving. Good luck with the houseowrk!

Patsy said...

Housework involves a lot of exercise. I know that because I tried it once.

Kate Larkindale said...

When you're done at your place, can you come and clean mine? I promise it will be plenty of excercise.

Michelle Wallace said...

I've been thinking about you, Lexa. Hope you're doing okay.
Let those dirty walls be the canvas for some painting therapy!
Love and hugs!

Tonja Drecker said...

I'll add my address to the list if you decide to pop by! Glad to see that you're finding a way to pick yourself back up. My thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Rhonda Albom said...

I have never heard cleaning described with quite so much joy. I have been thinking about you and hope you are doing well. Glad your house is getting a make over of sorts.

cleemckenzie said...

Therapy! That's what I use cleaning for. When I'm out of steam, out of ideas, and dreadfully worried I apply elbow grease to just about everything, then I start thinking "Why do they call it elbow GREASE? Isn't GREASE, yucky? Aren't I trying to clean up not GREASE up the place? Then my spirits are lifted because I'm delving into trivia and who can worry when the mind's cluttered with trivia?

PlanetKimberly said...

If it's possible, I think a walk around the block several times a week is very beneficial. Just a leisurely walk. My dad has 5 brothers and 5 sisters. They all died of cancer or heart attacks, but two of them that are still living in their late 80s are the ones that took walks. My aunt has bad knees and can't walk anymore, but she'll be 88 in a couple of weeks. Her brother is two years older than her and he still takes daily walks. My dad passed away at age 68. He didn't take many walks. I think there is something to this walking business. ;o)

If walking is out of the question, maybe yoga would help. You can find yoga videos on YouTube. That might help your back.

There is also a contraption you can buy that is like a stationary bicycle for your arms. When I hurt my knee, I used that at the gym for cardio instead.

I'm sure cleaning helps, too. That's probably how my mom stays in shape. lol

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

You should be very proud, Lexa! So glad you went shopping all by yourself. That's a huge accomplishment. Keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...