This week I'm celebrating:
1) Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. (Cups per day inversely proportionate to hours of sleep per night. Yes, I resemble the cat in the picture. No, I don't foresee it changing anytime soon.)
2) Creating a new pen name "L.X. Cain" for the adult Horror short stories, novellas, and novels I'll be self-pubbing in the next year. The initials hide my gender. Most Horror buyers are men, and they aren't enthused about buying Horror written by women. (Same situation for Sci-Fi authors. Didn't you know? Women "can't write" Sci-Fi or Horror. They're only good at Romance, Fantasy, and Paranormal.)
3) I revised and created a cover for my short story called "Biggun." It was sold to an anthology 5 yrs ago and now needed serious revisions. The writing of 5-Years-Ago-Me made Today-Me cringe.
4) Setting up new FB and Gmail accounts for "L.X. Cain." Surprisingly, this was the biggest problem. It's "LX Cain" on FB now because they won't allow normal initials in a name. My first acct attempt gave me "L.x. Cain" -- and that looked like a typo. What author wants everyone thinking their acct name contains a TYPO?? Yeah, that would inspire reader confidence. (Lots of people complain on the forums about this. No one can change it.) I had to delete that acct, then FB needed a new Gmail acct to make another new acct. So I made a new Gmail acct and deleted the old one. Google said it "Detected Suspicious Activity" on my accts and FROZE THEM ALL! I had to give them my phone number to get an SMS verification to prove I'm really me! Google and FB (and Amazon) are the faceless dictators taking over the world.
5) On tons of caffeine and almost no sleep for the past 5 days, I powered through novel revisions, short story revisions, making a cover for the short story from free images, downloading fonts and syncing them with my GIMP photoshop, writing critiques for CPs, finding this week's Foxy's Freebies, writing this post, researching my newsletter for Writing.Com, promoting the 99-cent sale of Soul Cutter (Mar 16-31), and the hell that descended while setting up new accts for FB and Gmail. But I did it!!!!
How do you feel about your old writing (or your old artistic projects)? Ever had problems dealing with FB and Google?
My kind and wonderful co-hosts of Celebrate the Small Things are:
L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge
Katie @ TheCyborgMom
Celebrate The Small Things Sign-Up Linky:
Grab the Linky html-code here:
Celebrate the Small Things. To be part of this blog hop, all you have to do is put your name on the linky list on Lexa's Blog, and then post every Friday about something you're grateful for that week. It can be about writing or family or school or general life. This is the funnest and easiest blog hop ever! (Originated by VikLit)
Foxy's Friday Freebies!
Foxy has been nosing around the net.
When she finds great FREE STUFF, she'll feature it on Fridays Freebies posts -
- Free short stories, novellas, and novels
- Giveaways for books and swag
- Free services for authors
Here are Foxy's suggestions for March 20, 2015:
Free $25 Amazon Gift Card – To celebrate the release of Shy Kind of Love (NA Romance) by Deanna Eshler, she’s giving away a $25 gift card for Amazon via rafflecopter on Books Freebies and Giveaways blog. (ends April 3)
Free $20 Amazon Gift Card – To celebrate the release of My Wolf Fighter (Paranormal Romance) by Rose Wynters, she’s giving away a $20 gift card for Amazon via rafflecopter on Books Freebies and Giveaways blog. (ends April 1)
Free ANY Paperback or eBook Released in Mar 2015 – Win and you get to pick your choice of any book releasing in March 2015 up to $20. Read the rules and click the rafflecopter link at the bottom of the post on My Homemade Library blog. (ends Mar 30)
Free Choice of 1 of 4 Novels – Five chances to win your choice of 1 of 4 novels (An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, Forged by Erin Bowman, Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking, or Every Last Promise by Kristin Halbrook). Just read the rules, follow simple instructions, and post a comment on Brittany’s Book Rambles blog. (ends April 1)
For Foxy's other Freebies, go to the Freebie page.
If anyone has a FREE short story (for download or online at a free ezine), novella, novel, special giveaway, or author service, please let Foxy know so she can plug you here! Write to: laura.6eg(at)gmail.com