You're a writer. You swim around the ocean of blogs, searching for tips on craft, commiserating with other writers, and getting support when you need it. Why should you cross the great divide and visit book review blogs? I mean, they criticize books. They aren't sympathetic to your struggles. They probably don't even know how HARD it is to write a book!
Here are four very good reasons to hunt up book review blogs:
1) They offer good advice on the best books to buy so you don't waste your money.
2) They get lots of ARCs (Advance Reader Copies) from authors and big publishing houses, and they sometimes offer them free in special giveaways.
3) They participate in authors' blog-tours, which often offer a chance to win the new book in a giveaway.
Let me repeat that:
THEY PARTICIPATE IN AUTHORS' BLOG TOURS
Oh, hello -- You're an AUTHOR!
4) Yes, they can support you on your tour and review your novel... Or not...
When you release a book, you'll feel like a door-to-door salesman, trudging around, hoping to make connections and sales -- and getting doors slammed in your face. OUCH!! Book bloggers are far more likely to help with a tour or review if you've made an effort to follow them, read their posts, and commented. Also, your request letter should be as professional and polished as a query to an agent -- because believe me, just as agents are picky who they represent, book reviewers are picky about what they spend their valuable time reading. (Especially when they're getting best-selling novels direct from Big Publishers.)
So start looking around for book bloggers who like the same style of books you do. Google "book review blog YA" or "book review blog science fiction," or whatever you love.
There are awesome, warm, and funny book bloggers out there who can give your great advice, free books, and help you when you need it. Find them and give them some bloggy love. You'll be glad you did!
* Don't forget book blogger Lexi is hosting a giveaway with a ton of books, including Soul Cutter --> Book Bliss 2000 Likes Giveaway. (The rafflecopter link is at the bottom of the post. The giveaway ends on Nov 9.)