Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Egyptian Elections


(Photo: Al-Akhbar - Ali Garboussi)
My husband (who's Egyptian) and many of his friends voted for a new president last week. There were no violent incidents and everything seemed to go off without a hitch -- pretty good for a country having it's very first presidential election.

Since then, I've begun hearing complaints at home and on TV talk shows. There were 14 candidates and it seems my hubby and others voted for different people, none of whom are the top two, who'll be in the run-off election. They're amazed (and a bit ticked off) that their favorites didn't do better. 

WELCOME TO DEMOCRACY! 

Just because you have a vote in the new democratic system, doesn't mean your guy (or the 'best' guy) will win. It doesn't mean life will be the way you imagined it from now on. It means the Majority Rules, whether you like it or not. This is something American know well, and Egyptians will have to learn.

8 comments:

Kate Larkindale said...

When you come from a place where democratic elections are commonplace and the only arguments are over what electoral system you use, it's interesting to hear about a country where the whole process in new and exciting.

Kelly Hashway said...

I've never voted for anyone who's won a presidential election. I think I'm bad luck. LOL. I'm almost tempted to vote for who I don't want, just to see if it really is me. No, I'm kidding. I wouldn't do that. ;)

E. Arroyo said...

You're spot on about that.

cleemckenzie said...

I'm very excited for Egypt. And you're so right about how democracy works. We may be disappointed in the outcome, but if we participate we have every right to complain and agitate for a "better" outcome next time. If we don't participate, then we can only complain to the mirror.

Do you happen to know the % of voter turn out? I haven't heard that reported.

cleemckenzie said...

Got your email. 40-50% is much higher than the old U.S. gets, so I'm impressed. I don't think voter turn out is culturally determined. I think it's all about being human. There, you see, we have no reason for war. We are way too much alike if you look deeply enough--or at least at voter turn out!

cleemckenzie said...

Thanks for the nudge! I'm now officially a follower.

Catherine Stine said...

I've followed the "Arab Spring" in the Middle East, and in Egypt, and my son was over there last summer. The resulting candidates and progress fell short of the lofty ideals, but at least people got to vote. progress is slow.
Catherine Stine’s Idea City

Anonymous said...

I can't recall anyone I've ever voted for winning the election. But then again I tend to not always vote for the favourite:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...